If you miss potatoes, try this keto cauliflower mashed potatoes recipe. Smooth and creamy cauliflower is an excellent low-carb, keto-friendly substitute for potatoes!
- 1 large head of cauliflower (about 8 cups of florets)
- 2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup half and half
- salt and pepper
- garnish with chopped chives or parsley
- Rinse cauliflower and trim the leaves. Cut the cauliflower into florets.
- In a large pot with a lid, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add cauliflower florets. Cover and steam the cauliflower for about 10 minutes over medium heat, until fork tender.
- Transfer cauliflower to a colander. Drain water from pot.
- In the same pot, over low heat, add butter and half and half.
- Return steamed cauliflower to the pot. Mash with a potato masher until the cauliflower is the texture of rice.
- Puree cauliflower with an immersion blender until completely smooth.
- Stir constantly over low heat until excess water evaporates and cauliflower mash reaches the thickness of mashed potatoes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with butter.
- If the cauliflower is not fork tender at the end of the cook time, add more water to the pot and continue steaming for another 5 minutes.
- Constantly stir mashed cauliflower during the last step to allow excess water to evaporate and to prevent the mash from burning. Cook until it reaches the consistency of mashed potatoes.
- For best flavor, don't boil cauliflower.
- For best flavor, don't overcook cauliflower.
- Add garlic cloves to the water while steaming for garlic mashed cauliflower
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: sides
- Method: steam
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Cauliflower mashed potatoes, side dish, keto, low carb, diabetic, vegetable