Grilling is one of the best ways to prepare freshly caught whole fish. This tasty fish is seasoned with garlic oil, grilled until perfectly flaky, and finished with herbs and charred lemon juice.
- 2 whole fish about 1 pound each
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed (1 teaspoon of garlic powder is okay too.)
- 2 lemons, halved
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs, chopped
- Prepare a grill for grilling over direct medium-high heat with lid.
- Rinse fish in cold tap water. Pat dry with paper towels, pat the insides dry too. Use a knife to make slits about an inch apart through the flesh from top fin to bottom fin. Cut at a slight slant so that you can make deeper cuts, stop at the back bone. This will help the flesh to cook evenly.
- Sprinkle both sides of each fish with salt and pepper.
- Combine olive oil with garlic. Brush both sides of fish with garlic oil.
- Place cut sides of lemons on the grill.
- Grill fish for 5 minutes on each side, covered with lid. Check if fish is done by inserting a fork into a slit and gently prying the flesh away. If the flesh flakes away easily, it is done. If not, cover and cook another minute or two.
- Serve with grilled lemon halves. Sprinkle with herbs. Squeeze juice from grilled lemons over fish before eating.
This recipe lists approximate cook times for 1 pound whole fish. If you grill larger fish, then add more cook time. Test for doneness by inserting a fork into the flesh gently prying. If the flesh flakes away easily, it is done. If not, cover and cook another minute or two and test again.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-15 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Grill
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Grilled whole fish dinner keto low-carb