Spaghetti squash makes an excellent keto-friendly substitute for pasta.
- 1 spaghetti squash
Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise with a kitchen knife.
Scoop out the seeds and pulp with a spoon.
Choose a cooking method.
- Place cut sides down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a 400°F oven and roast for 45-60 minutes.
- Test for doneness by piercing the flesh of the squash with a fork. The squash is done when the fork slides easily into the flesh, aka 'fork tender'.
Let the squash cool.
Shred the flesh with a fork to separate the squash into strings that resemble strands of spaghetti noodles.
- Place squash cut-side down on a microwave safe plate.
Microwave on high heat for 10 minutes.
Turn over and let cool for 5 minutes. This releases the steam and keeps the squash from becoming watery.
Use a fork to separate the strands.
- Splitting the squash in half could take a bit of wiggling the knife back and forth. Don't force it, just take your time and be careful not to cut yourself.
- If the squash is not fork tender, add a few minutes of cook time and let it rest.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10-60 minutes
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake or Microwave
- Cuisine: American