This squash recipe sautés tender grey squash with Mexican herbs and spices. It is finished with a topping of hot, melted cheese. Also called "calabacitas con queso" or "little squash with cheese".
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 6 medium grey squash, cubed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 4 ounce can fire roasted chilis
- 1 cup shredded cheese such as cheddar, Colby or Monterey jack cheese (or a combination)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 1 minute until translucent.
- Mix in garlic and jalapeño pepper.
- Stir in squash.
- Season with oregano and salt.
- Stir in chopped tomatoes and canned chilis.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until squash is fork tender.
- Top with cheese.
- Serve hot while cheese is gooey.
- Cook until squash is fork tender. No need to overcook squash.
- Zucchini, and other summer squashes, are a suitable substitute for grey squash.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Sides
- Method: sauté
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: grey squash, Mexican squash, calabacitas, low carb, keto, cheese, summer sides, recipe