This is a fresh twist on eggs sunny side up. These savory eggs are fried in aromatic sage butter, then garnished with crispy sage leaves for a gourmet touch. Perfect for low-carb and keto diets.
1 tablespoon butter
2-3 fresh sage leaves
2 large eggs
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat pan over low heat. This allows time for the pan to evenly distribute heat.
- Melt butter in pan and swirl the pan until there is an even layer of butter to coat the surface. Use enough butter to form a thin, bubbling coating of fat over the bottom of the pan.
- Raise heat to medium-high. Add sage leaves when butter begins to foam and bubble. Cook 1 minute or until crisp. Your kitchen will smell amazing! Remove sage and set aside.
- If you are quick about cracking eggs, skip to the next step. If you struggle to crack eggs, then crack them into a separate bowl before you begin. Then transfer them from the bowl into the frying pan so that they cook at the same rate. If you don't crack the eggs directly into a hot pan fast enough you will get some overcooked eggs along with undercooked eggs.
- When the butter is hot and bubbling, add eggs. Once the eggs hit the pan, cover the skillet with a lid and cook for 1 minute. This traps heat so that the yolks don't overcook as the whites cook through.
- After 1 minute, remove lid and check eggs. They are ready to serve when the whites are opaque and not transparent. If not, cover them with a lid, remove from heat and wait 1 minute. If they are still a bit raw, cover with lid, and wait 1 more minute. This lets the whites gently finish cooking while keeping the yolks soft.
- Very gently use a spatula to separate the eggs if the whites have cooked together. Just slice between the egg whites with the tip of the spatula to separate them. Then carefully transfer them one by one out of the pan onto a plate. Alternatively, you can slide the eggs onto a plate.
- Garnish with sage leaves and pour sage butter from the pan over eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
The most important thing you need to know about executing any egg dish perfectly is to pay attention. Control the heat and timing and do not overcook the eggs. Once the eggs hit a hot pan you are committed to your station at the cooktop. Pay attention and do not turn away for any distraction.
Have a lid handy to keep in the heat so that the eggs cook evenly through.
- Prep Time: 2
- Cook Time: 3
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Frying
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Sunny side up eggs with crispy sage keto low-carb