Get your grilled cheese fix with this delicious grown-up sandwich! Hot, gooey cheddar and cream cheese are melted between crisp, buttery multigrain bread with fresh tomato and basil.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 1 ounce of cheddar cheese (1 slice or about 1/3 cup shredded)
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 slice tomato
- 5 leaves basil
- Make a sandwich by smearing two slices of bread with cream cheese. Add a slice of tomato, then a slice of cheddar cheese and top with fresh basil leaves. Press together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted and begins to bubble, place the sandwich in the pan and swirl it around the pan to soak up the butter. Cover with a lid. Cook on one side for 3 minutes.
- Push sandwich to one side of the skillet and melt the rest of the butter on the opposite side of the pan.
- Flip the sandwich over and swirl it around the pan to coat it in butter. Press down with the spatula and toast, uncovered, for another 3 minutes.
- Check the sandwich. Cook until the bread is the crispness and color that you want.
- Cut in half and serve hot.
I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of extra dishes. Don't bother with brushing melted butter on both sides of the bread first. That's not what this recipe is about. Just melt the butter in the skillet and put the sandwich in the butter. Less mess. Less cleanup. Happy family.
- Prep Time: 4 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best how to make a grilled cheese sandwich low-carb healthy