Get your grilled cheese fix with this delicious sandwich! Hot, gooey cheddar and cream cheese are melted between crisp, buttery multigrain bread with fresh tomato and basil.
Total carbs 26g, net carbs 22g
You probably didn't expect to see a grilled cheese recipe on a low-carb recipe site, but guess what? A grilled cheese sandwich has only 26 grams of carbs and is definitely doable on a low-carb diet!
I saw grilled cheese on my feed today and had to get my fix. In the spirit of great grilled cheese sandwiches everywhere I used what I had on-hand. Today it was flax seed multi-grain 🌞🌾 bread in my pantry, some cultured 🧈 butter, cream cheese, 🧀 cheddar cheese, fresh 🍅 tomatoes and basil 🍃 from my farm share @mevoearth.
Here's how to make the best, grown-up, grilled cheese sandwich
Ingredients you'll need
Butter helps crisp the bread and adds flavor.
Use sliced multi-grain bread instead of white bread, which is a healthier choice. Look for multigrain bread made with 100% whole grains. Check that the multigrain bread that you buy isn't made with white flour. If you are counting carbs, avoid white bread as much as possible. Multigrain bread has fiber, nutrients and is lower on the glycemic index.
Look for ingredients like:
- whole wheat flour
- flax seeds
- sunflower seeds
- sesame seeds
Avoid multigrain breads that include these ingredients:
You'll need an ounce of cheese which is 1 slice or about ⅓ cup shredded. Use real cheese and not American cheese, which is processed cheese and is higher in carbs. You can use any hard cheese that you like, but cheddar cheese is the standard for flavor and gives the sandwich a nice, gooey cheese pull.
Cream cheese is the secret ingredient to making a creamy, mellow cheese filling that melts in your mouth.
Tomato slices add a juicy burst of acidity. Though tomatoes are high in carbs, you can eat them in moderation. A single tomato slice has just 1 gram of carbs.
basil leaves (optional)
Add as little or as much basil as you like for flavor.
Equipment you'll need
A skillet with a lid and a spatula.
You can assemble the sandwiches ahead of time, keep them covered in paper towels in the fridge (up to a day ahead) until ready to cook. Then just toast them in the skillet with butter.
How to store
Grilled cheese sandwiches are best eaten hot, but leftovers happen sometimes. People (little people) get distracted and leave a half-eaten sandwich out in the cold. Just cover and refrigerate. When you are ready to finish the sandwich just re-toast it over low heat in the oven or skillet.
- A cup of tomato soup (add 15 grams of carbs)
- veggie sticks
Frequently Asked Questions
Some people think Monterey Jack is the best cheese, some people prefer Cheddar cheese. Opinions vary. In my humble opinion, any hard cheese that I have readily available is the best cheese.
Get your grilled cheese fix with this delicious grown-up sandwich! Hot, gooey cheddar and cream cheese are melted between crisp, buttery multigrain bread with fresh tomato and basil.
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 slices multigrain bread
- 1 ounce of cheddar cheese (1 slice or about ⅓ cup shredded)
- 1 ounce cream cheese, softened
- 1 slice tomato
- 5 leaves basil
- Make a sandwich by smearing two slices of bread with cream cheese. Add a slice of tomato, then a slice of cheddar cheese and top with fresh basil leaves. Press together.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once the butter has melted and begins to bubble, place the sandwich in the pan and swirl it around the pan to soak up the butter. Cover with a lid. Cook on one side for 3 minutes.
- Push sandwich to one side of the skillet and melt the rest of the butter on the opposite side of the pan.
- Flip the sandwich over and swirl it around the pan to coat it in butter. Press down with the spatula and toast, uncovered, for another 3 minutes.
- Check the sandwich. Cook until the bread is the crispness and color that you want.
- Cut in half and serve hot.
I don't know about you, but I'm not a fan of extra dishes. Don't bother with brushing melted butter on both sides of the bread first. That's not what this recipe is about. Just melt the butter in the skillet and put the sandwich in the butter. Less mess. Less cleanup. Happy family.
- Prep Time: 4 minutes
- Cook Time: 6 minutes
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Fry
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: best how to make a grilled cheese sandwich low-carb healthy